Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Professing the Trinity

I don't refer to the Trinity in a job description--Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifier--and we don't in our Lutheran church, Upper Arlington Lutheran Church (Columbus, Ohio). I usually only hear it here at Lakeside Sunday services at Hoover. But yesterday in a rerun of Mother Angelica on 88.1 FM (most powerful woman in TV/radio before stepping down, now 90) I heard her say, "I don't make the sign of the cross in the name of the Creator, Redeemer and Sanctifier; I make it in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The Vatican, which even recognizes my baptism in 1950 in the Church of the Brethren, does not recognize a Catholic baptism using those words. This formula of words was developed so feminists wouldn't be offended by masculine terms. Why are non-religious people so insecure that they must change how other believers do things? If you have problems with the words Son or Father, get help.

No comments: