Sunday, December 22, 2013

This and that. . .

I made snickerdoodles with dried cranberries today for a Christmas party tomorrow (like I REALLY needed this).  I actually tasted the raw dough.  Remember when we were kids and that was the favorite part of Mom’s baking?  Now everything is unsafe.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/beware-of-raw-cookie-dough/?_r=0

Tooting my own horn. I think I have licked the caffeine addiction and the awful coffee at home syndrome. I've been drinking coffee since I was 13--and trust me, I'm a librarian who researches everything, coffee doesn't taste good, some just is less awful than others. It's an acquired taste and it actually does have health benefits--with or without the caffeine. Maybe it's the cold weather or da...rk mornings, but showing up at the coffee shop down the road at 6:30 a.m. just doesn't have the appeal it used to, so I've been making decaf at home, but a little stronger than directions. I've bought half n half, and just about, almost, maybe it tastes fine. I still show up occasionally to make sure everyone at Panera's is OK, but it will save about $10 a week for my Travel to Spain in 2015 fund. Even a small amount of real coffee will cause me problems, but not to worry--it actually helps some people with arrhythmias.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/coffee-new-health-food

Thursday I made the Cheeseburger in Paradise, but used sausage just to see if it might be good for a brunch.  The next day I gave a slice to my son who had stopped by to give us his Christmas ham.  He called later raving about it.  I guess it passes the test, uh?

David Meyers and Elise Meyers, well known Columbus authors (prisons, popular music, Lazarus history, Columbus jazz, true crime), are beginning a new project--the famous, now gone (as of 2000) Kahiki restaurant. I'm guessing some of you went there for special events in the past and perhaps you have memories or old photos you'd like to have memorialized in their new book. You can e-mail me for further information on arrangements to share what you know about a Columbus landmark.

                             Image[1]

My friend Lynne loves to say around this time of year that we are closer to Spring than we were in September.

Photo

1 comment:

Norma said...

Hi Norma,
I ran across your blog today as I was searching for something written to back up my own remembrance of warnings about the “coming ice age” we were getting from the likes of Ted Danson back in the 80’s.....and had not realized the great arrangers have been trying to sell us on this junk for 100yrs as you show from Inohe’s speech. Well, what a delight to find your blog.

I especially like your outline of “Rules” and all the pics you post of your various trips. I grew up in western-Michigan so am somewhat familiar with the Traverse City area. My family made regular treks “up north” every summer for a few years. I have lived in Oregon for over 30yrs now and OR has its own great beauty. I dearly love seeing photos of travels to lovely places in the states and also Ireland and England. Love to see old places restored and kept up. I find it encouraging.

So, I will be sharing your blog with a couple of friends. It’s a delight to find someone with views that are not up-side-down.

Anyway, thank you and have a great Christmas and Happy New Year!

via e-mail