Friday, December 09, 2016

Why he supports the Salvation Army

A man named Joseph told this story on Facebook.

"This is why I support the Salvation Army and tell every bell ringer young or old my story.

It was a Friday afternoon, I was 11 at the time and my sister was 8 and we were with my mother at the welfare office where she was begging for a $20 advance on
her foodstamps. I never forgot the look of embarrassment in her eyes for having to do this. The social worker flat out said NO!, they will arrive sometime Monday. I can still remember the look of shame and humility on my mother's face. For she had no idea how she would feed her children that weekend. An elderly man wearing a corduroy jacket with the patches on the elbows approached us and suggested we try the Salvation Army. We went to the Salvation Army,who greeted and welcomed us with open arms. They gave us enough food for the weekend, they also gave my sister and and I winter jackets, clothes and a couple of toys. They also provided our Christmas dinner that year and a few Christmas presents. I have never forgotten their unselfish act of kindness toward us. Because of the Salvation Army we made it through that weekend."


Mike Gallagher, Michael Medved and Dennis Prager, talk show hosts (conservative) on 98.9 a.m. (Columbus) have a cheerful rivalry among their listeners to see which one can get the most donations, but Gallagher also has a personal story.  He says the Salvation Army saved his son's life (I don't know the details). 

Image result for Salvation Army

No comments: